'Madeira' jumper: cast on!

I cast on the 'Madeira' jumper from Knit With Norbury last night. That was bit naughty as I am trying to finish off a jumper that I've been working on for at least two years, but the truth is I'm not sure that will suit me and I've had masses of trouble with one piece of it – I ripped it back for the second time this weekend and was feeling quite demoralised with it. I have resolved that if the piece comes out wring a third time, I'm going to sew it on anyhow and wear the jumper around the house. Anyway, that's got nothing to do with the Madeira jumper.

I'm using Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool 4ply in a really nice blue. That's not a particularly cheap yarn, but when you're wearing something right next to your skin, you need it to be soft. I keep my eye out for good-quality yarns on special offer. Most of the vintage knitting patterns I have can be done in a modern 4ply, so I buy full packs (10 balls) when I see a yarn I like on sale. This yarn cost me £33 for a pack from Deramores (no longer discounted) and I doubt I'll use all of it. Leftover balls can be turned into gloves or used Fair Isle designs, they won't go to waste.

I'm not really into a lot of 1950s stuff – Mr Robot likes the music of the 1950s and 1960s, but I'm more of a Jazz Baby myself. However, I do love the knitting patterns of the era, and this jumper should be another one that's smart enough for work, much nicer than the long-sleeved T-shirts I always end up falling back on and still won't require me to plug in the dreaded iron.

Comments

  1. I ve got loads of projects to finish. Generally, I give 'em to my mother in law which deals with the finishing details. I get bored quite easily and I want to change often !
    Mostly for the sweater I have to undo ! Dear me !
    I have 2 or 3 sweaters waiting to be done at my mother in law ! I get them off my mind ! Hi hi !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts