To dress up, or not to dress up?

I'm planning to go to Dig For Victory at Lacock next weekend. I'm not so into the war recreation side of things, but I love the music of the era and just want to sit and listen to a band for a bit. Now, I've already made the error of ordering a Mary dress that's exactly the same size as my body and therefore a tad too tight to look good. I really don't think I can wear Mary. I have a 1940s-feeling dress, albeit a modern one, with a bib front, all in chocolate brown with tan pindots, and I'm toying with wearing with that instead.

Here's my dilemma: I'm not a proper vintage fan. I read and watch lots of vintage stuff, I have a keen interest in clothes, and I've been wearing bits of vintage clothing for years (my wedding dress was a late 30s ivory silk evening gown). Now my knitting skills have reached a level where I can create the things I want for myself my wardrobe will probably look much more vintage. BUT I don't do it full-on, all the time and you're more likely to find me in a black shift dress than anything else. I don't know if it's okay to go to an event like this that nods at a time period but isn't an original or even a full-on recreation. Is it better simply to go in something modern? They do have hints on the Dig For Victory site about getting the look, and my brown dress is very like a 1940s tea dress. I guess I'll have to hunt out a pair of gloves, knit myself a 40s-style hat and hope everyone is kind. In truth, most people are.

Comments

Popular Posts